Make holiday meals special with fun and easy felt placemats!
Approximate Crafting Time: 2 hours per mat. Skill Level: No experience necessary.
1/2 yard felt for backing (makes 2 placemats)
1/8 yard felt in assorted colors for designs (cut into 2" squares)
1/4 yard felt for background (cut into 2" squares)
Fiskars® Shape Template (optional)
Rotary cutter & wave or pinking blade (optional)
Basic sewing supplies
1. From background felt, cut 16" x 20" rectangle. Divide rectangle into quarters by drawing a 12" line vertically and a 16" line horizontally. Be sure lines are centered on background.
2. Using photo as reference, place felt squares on background using center lines as guides. Squares may be cut in half diagonally or vertically to add shape to the design.
3. Use a dot of Fabri-Tac® on back of each square to hold in place while sewing.
4. Starting with a center row, sew felt pieces to background using decorative thread and a zigzag stitch or your favorite decorative machine stitch. Be sure to butt pieces of felt together. Tip: Stitch the vertical and horizontal rows first. Then go back and stitch the diagonal rows.
5. Stitch around entire pieced area.
6. Trim background area to finished size.
1. Embellish with floss, embroidery stitches, and buttons.
2. If desired, personalize your placemat with letters made using the Fiskars® Shape Template.
3. Add a decorative edge to your placemat by using a wave or pinking blade in your rotary cutter.
Please read all instructions prior to beginning; read and follow all manufacturers' instructions for all tools and materials used. Provide adult supervision if children participate in this and all craft projects. Because Jo-Ann Stores, Inc. and joann.com have no control over the use of materials and tools, nor surroundings, during construction of projects, Jo-Ann Stores, Inc., and joann.com disclaim any liability for injury, damage or other untoward results. Content of this project sheet is presented in good faith, but no warranty is given, nor results guaranteed.