Richly textured silk doupioni is a beautiful and sumptuous fabric. Add mirrored embellishments that simply iron on, spicy colored ribbons, or elegant gold tassels and you’ll have a taste of Eastern luxury.
Finished size: 24" (61cm) square
- silk doupioni fabric
- 1/2 yard (.5m) of tangerine, and
- 1-1/2yards (1.4m) of fuchsia
- matching thread
- 3 yards (2.75m) of piping cord
- 1-1/2 yards (1.4m) of 3/4"-wide tapestry ribbon
- 25" (63cm) zipper
- 24" (60cm) square pillow form
- straight pins
- fabric-marking pen
- sewing machine with zipper foot
From tangerine silk, cut two 13" (33cm) squares for pillow front. From fuchsia silk, cut two 13" (33cm) squares for pillow front; one 25" x 24-1/2" (63.5cm x 62cm) for pillow back; one 25" x 2-1/2" (63.5cm x 6.5cm) for zipper flap; and one bias strip 2" (5cm) wide at least 3 yards (2.75m) long (pieced as needed) for piping.
Note: All stitching is done in 1/2" (1.3cm) seams, with right sides together and raw edges even, unless noted.
1. To make front, pin and stitch each tangerine front square to a fuchsia front square, making sure grainlines are the same (slubs running in same direction).
2. Pin and stitch pairs of squares together, alternating colors, to make pillow front.
3. Cut ribbon into 2 equal pieces. Pin ribbons across right side of front, covering seams. Stitch close to each edge of ribbon.
4. Fold piping strip in half lengthwise, with right side out and raw edges even. Place cord inside piping strip; using zipper foot, stitch close to cord to form piping. Trim piping seam allowance to 1/2" (1.3cm). Pin piping to edges of front (having raw edges of piping aligned with raw edges of pillow); clip piping seam allowance at corners; and overlap ends. Baste in place.
5. To make back, pin zipper to one long edge of back, placing edge of zipper tape 1/4" (6mm) from edge of fabric and face down onto fabric. Stitch 1/2" (1.3cm) from fabric edge to attach zipper. Turn seam to wrong side of back along stitching line; press. Edgestitch close to seam, through all thicknesses.
6. To make zipper flap, fold flap section in half lengthwise, with right side out and raw edges even. Baste close to raw edges. Pin long folded edge of flap over zipper, so fold of flap covers zipper by 1/4" (6mm). The pillow back should measure a 25" (63.5cm) square.
7. Stitch approximately 1/2" (1.3cm) from folded edge of flap to attach zipper to flap. Baste sides together to complete pillow back. Open zipper. Pin and stitch front to back, right sides together. Trim seams and corners; turn right side out.
8. Insert pillow form and close zipper.